Thursday, September 27, 2007

Who Are You Today, Lord?

Last week during my small group, we talked about being Truth-centered. Our discussion guide challenged us to describe how we see God. As we each gave our answers, a common theme arose: how we see God on a particular day depends on what we need Him for. For instance, when I am feeling beaten down and low on energy, I see God as my Sustainer. (Isaiah 46:4) When I am in a budget crunch, I see God as my Provider. When I am feeling scared because of some random noise in the middle of the night, I see God as my Protector. And so on.

It kind of feels gross to limit God like that--to define God by MY standard or need instead of as He truly is. After all, God can do all of those tasks ALL THE TIME. Plus, He is so much more. He is holy, righteous, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent; He is the Alpha and Omega, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Creator, Redeemer, Savior, and Truth. The list is endless. But hopefully you get the picture.

So why, even after reading Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer, do I still limit who you are, Lord? Help my small mindedness to embrace Your amazing magnificence. Help me to worship You for who You are instead of who I need You to be. You are so much more.

No comments: