Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Traditions


(The Nativity in Ice! at the Gaylord Texan -- 2007)

I arrived "home" Thursday and have spent the past five days relaxing and enjoying time with my family. Normally, it seems like we have so much to do and that we need to rush through each event or task. But this year, we've been able to continue some of our favorite traditions and add a few new ones without feeling rushed.

My family always enjoys playing games, and this year we've played multiple games of Yahtzee, Greedy, Apples to Apples, and Imaginiff. We've eaten all our favorite Christmas treats, including homemade gingerbread cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, spritz cookies, and four-layered dessert. We also participated in the Christmas Eve candlelight service. These family traditions are as familiar as spending time with good friends.

Our new tradition involves gathering each night to read the Advent devotional together. For me, it has been a time to re-center and get my focus off the many secular aspects of the season.

Wherever you are this Christmas Day, I hope that you are having a wonderful time celebrating Christ's birth.

No comments: