Sunday, June 30, 2013

June Update

How is it already the end of June?  I can't make that compute, but apparently, I've read a lot since the last update.  More on that below.

What Made Me Smile

Pistachio White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce and Bing Cherries at Magnolia Cheese Company.  Wish I could say I shared this with someone, but alas there was not even a bite left because it was THAT good.

Seeing the Body of Christ come together in a trailer food park to support a family who lost their home in the Granbury tornados.

Dinner with Ally and her fifteen-month-old cutie Jude, who sat right beside her even without a booster seat.

Arranging garden roses.


Dinner with a friend before she moved to Virginia.

Brunch with one of my young friends and hearing all that God is doing in her life.

Lunches and dinners to celebrate friends' birthdays.

Dinner with my friend who was in town from England.

A Pancake Breakfast for Melissa.  It was a joint celebration of her birthday and a time of covering her in prayer as she and her family are moving to Thailand for a year.  In December 2007, we took this picture at her wedding shower.




And recreating the moment almost seven years later. 


Coffee with a friend and talking so long that we closed down Barnes and Noble on a weeknight.

What I've Learned

In addition to my post from earlier this month, I've learned that essential oils have some great healing properties.  Peppermint oil has been helpful in staving off headaches.

I've learned that waiting until the weekend after Memorial Day to plant vinca is a recipe for disaster.  Out of 18, I have 2.5 that are still alive.  There might have also been a lack of watering.

I learned from Emily Freeman's blog that the volume button on the side of the iphone can be used to take a picture, which comes in handy when you are trying to take a selfie and can't see the button on the back of the bottom of the phone's screen.

I learned that only plastic frames should be put on your head because metal frames tend to get stuck in hair, which explains why my prescription sunglasses don't rip my hair out and why my nonprescription Ray Bans do.

I learned that I'd rather have to skip vacation due to a pipe bursting before I was scheduled to leave than to have had it happen while I was away.  These were my lifesavers.


Even though my bathroom now looks like this and will have to undergo some major work in the coming weeks.



What I've Read

Gift from the Sea  by Anne Morrow Lindbergh.  I've already loaned this book to my mom; it was that good.  It's a quick read that was written in the 1950s and contains nuggets of wisdom that are still applicable today.

The Real Win by Colt McCoy and Matt Carter.  It was a given that I was going to read this book because I'm a big Colt fan and I enjoy listening to sermons from his pastor Matt Carter of The Austin Stone.  This is a great book for men and women, defining biblical manhood and what that should look like in our culture, and it contains entertaining stories from both men's lives. 




The Autobiography of George Muller.  If your prayer life needs a boost, this is a great book as it contains journal entries from a man who counted on God to provide his daily bread and every pound that came into his wallet.




A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Sophie Hudson.  I dedicated a whole post to this book.  Lots of funny here.




A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg.  I've already loaned this book to a friend.  Shauna Niequist references this book in Bread and Wine, and it is similar in many ways.  It contains great stories and recipes, but God is completely absent from this book.

Your Beautiful Purpose by Susie Larson.  This author spoke at a women's retreat that I attended earlier this year, but I didn't pick up the book until Ann Voskamp recommended it on her blog.  I loved Larson's openness and her writing style.  Lots underlined in this book.




Quitter by Jon Acuff.  I've followed Acuff on Twitter for quite a while.  He's hilarious.  In this book, he talks about how to develop a dream while you work 40 hours a week.  Lots of food for thought here.




Anything by Jennie Allen.  Jennie and her husband Zac prayed, "God, we will do anything."  This book is a small part of following what God showed them after they prayed that prayer.  She puts into words what I've felt on numerous occasions but have been too afraid to say.  This is one courageous book, but it's also one that we're all called to live out.  Lots to process after reading this book.



Whew!  What a fast and furious month!  And with the holiday ahead, I'm hoping to process some of what I've recently read.  What books are you enjoying?

2 comments:

Momma Bean said...

As always, you add some great finds to my reading list! Happy Monday Friend

Krista Sanders said...

Book jealously going on here.... agh!!! Such good things to read!