Sunday, August 5, 2007

"On" Living

One of my favorite things to do on the weekend is to watch a good game. During the fall, it’s college football, especially Big 12 games. In the summer, it’s golf and tennis. But I’m more drawn to watching when “my” team or individual is “on.”

By “on” I don’t mean that the team or individual is merely receiving television coverage. By “on” I’m talking about when the team or individual is in the groove and is playing at the top of their game. Like today with Tiger Woods at the top of the leader board blowing away the competition. Or like the 2005 college football season when the Longhorns went undefeated and won the Rose Bowl with Vince Young at the helm.

But I don’t just follow those who are known for being the best. I followed Venus Williams who had an amazing come-back this year at Wimbledon in spite of being ranked 31st. And I followed Boise State last year beginning in early October when they crept into the top 20 rankings in college football and eventually went on to stun the Oklahoma Sooners in the Fiesta Bowl.

Watching these teams and players when they are “on” got me thinking: If it is this much fun for me to watch them do their “thing” and do it well, how much pleasure must God get out of seeing the rest of us (whose daily lives are not broadcast on television) do our particular “thing” and do it well?

Like the person with a gifted singing voice who blesses the congregation with special music.
Or the person with the gift of administration who works behind the scenes to make sure things run smoothly.
Or those who volunteer their time to help others.
Or working parents who manage to save a little energy so that they can play with their children when they get home.

What if everyday Christians lived an “on” life each day using their God-given talents for His glory? What would that look like?

I know it wouldn’t be easy, but isn’t it worth striving for? After all, the heavenly rewards are far better than winning any sporting event, even those with a $35 million purse.

No comments: