Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Comforter

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Matthew 5:4 (NIV)


In the midst of grieving Annie's loss, I have said over and over, "God is amazing!" And I've meant it. He has been my Comforter in so many ways over the past several weeks.

Every day since Annie's death, God has used people in my life to shower me with His love. I have received countless texts, phone calls, emails, comments on her tribute, and cards that have been a balm for my hurting heart. And then, on top of all those comforting words from precious friends, He provided good gifts: dinner brought to me, beautiful plants, a tree planted in Annie's honor, dinner at a friend's house, memorials made in Annie's honor, the book Dog Heaven, a painting, a cross, a box of new clothes (to make up for those I returned to pay for part of Annie's medical bills), and a dog ornament.















Even today, more than two weeks later, two friends came up to me at church to comfort me on Annie's loss.

I share these things as an example of how God has shown me His presence steadily in such tangible ways. In every way, these gifts have not been about me or anything I've done; they've been grace gifts. I have been humbled by them and have been reminded that God has surrounded me with the most thoughtful friends, who teach me daily about what it looks like to love others well.

Father God, You alone are my Comforter. Thank You for showing me Your love in more ways than I could have ever imagined. May others who are experiencing loss and pain feel your tangible presence in their lives. Amen.

2 comments:

Margie said...

Alyssa, this is wonderful to read. I have thought of you so often, and am heartened by the support you have received. Thank you for sharing this.

Krista Sanders said...

I’ve seen God hold you strong. I think you’ve done awesome. He has blessed you with kind friends who love you VERY much.