Sunday, March 10, 2013

His Grace in Frustration

Confession: Lately, I have been a grumbler.

I have grumbled about my work, my allergies and the resulting headaches, my singleness, my finances, and so many other things that I am embarrassed of. I have grumbled for no other reasons except that I don't like God's plans and that I'd prefer stress-free, comfortable living--thank You very much.

Honestly, I just want God to put this seal on my life:



I want the frustrations removed. All of them. And the Lord knows that, but He also knows what I need in order to draw near to Him.

That difficult work scenario? It had me praying for good health, strength, energy, and wisdom to do my job more than I have ever prayed for those things before.

Those allergies and headaches? They enable me to sympathize with those who are struggling with their health and prompt me to pray for their healing along with my own.

Walking through life solo? That keeps me on my knees and in desperate dependence on Him as my Provider and Comforter.

When I come to Him in these situations, He's big enough to handle my harsh words and the fists that I shake at Him. Because He is holy, my outbursts and many requests do not drain Him of His power, His time, or His resources. And because He is omnipresent, the rest of you don't have to wait in line while He's busy listening to me and my laundry list of complaints. (And the people said, "AMEN!")

I'm not a burden on Him.

I often have to repeat that to myself:  I'm not a burden on Christ. 

He has already taken my sins--past, present, and future--and canceled them out on the cross, offering me a lifetime of grace.  And instead of becoming tired of me, He offers me His presence at all times and the invitation to continually commune with Him. It's a gift that no other can offer. 

So for any of you who, like me, missed out on the frustration-free packaging of life, voice your complaints to the One Who made you and Who can walk with you through them. His grace is sufficient, even (and especially) when your attitude is one of frustration.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you., for my power is made perfect in weakness."
2 Corinthians 12:9

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh man, I long for some of that frustration free packaging myself! Thanks for sharing your heart. I love it!

Krista Sanders said...

Amen, sister. HE is ENOUGH. I am not too much for Him. I love that, Alyssa.