Saturday, July 14, 2007

Breaking Through The Cocoon

Cocoon


I bumped into something a little unfamiliar this past week. It was clingy and sticky, and at first I didn’t know what it was. Then I realized that it was a cocoon. One that I had somehow built up around myself. Thankfully, it must have been made of some shoddy material because when I bumped it, it cracked. At that point, it started letting in a wave of emotions that I hadn’t been allowing myself feel.

The cascade of sorrows and joys that came through amazed me. They had all been held back by my own choosing to supposedly save myself the time and the energy of delving into others’ lives and bearing their burdens, as well as their joys. It’s sad to admit that sometimes I get so selfish with my time, but I do. I don’t know if it is a result of feeling emotions so deeply that I’d rather not feel them at all or what the real reason for this particular cocoon was. Any reason I devise would merely be an excuse. After all, Galatians 6:2 says, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”

I pray that having broken through this cocoon, I’ll be a better friend. One who is willing to give of my time to lend a listening ear, some encouragement, or a round of applause if the occasion warrants it.

No comments: