Friday, July 6, 2007

Tell Me Who You Walk With

Tonight as I was driving home later than normal from work, I caught the middle of a call-in show on the radio. The call-in theme for the evening was about morals or lessons that have been passed down from other generations. One caller that I heard shared a Spanish proverb that her mother used to tell her: “Dime con quién andas, y te diré quién eres,” which literally translated means, “Tell me who you walk with, and I’ll tell you who you are.”

Having lived in Texas all my life, I’m a little surprised that I’ve never heard this saying before. I like the saying because it’s simple (i.e., easy to remember) and can have much life application. The caller said that her mother used it to encourage her to choose her friends wisely because she did not want her to hang out with bad influences who would, in turn, have a negative effect on her character.

Immediately after hearing her story, I thought about how I would answer, “Tell me who you walk with.” A lot of family and friends came to mind. But then I envisioned answering, “I walk with God,” and that painted such a beautiful picture. It took me back to two old hymns:


When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.
Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.
. . . .
Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet.
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way.
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.
(Listen at http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/r/trstobey.htm)

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.
And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.
(Listen at http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/t/g/itgarden.htm)

I hope that you can envision yourself walking with God daily. I can’t think of a better Person to reflect or to be connected with.

1 comment:

Warley Coutinho said...

We have this same saying in Portuguese too, and it really makes sense, but the best is to know that we have been walking with God by our side!