Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Sacrifice for Freedom


With today being Independence Day, I can’t help but take some time to reflect upon the sacrifices that have been made to purchase my freedom. I am sure that at some point today the newscasters will talk about the number of soldiers who have given their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan. But by simply giving a number or death toll, I think it de-personalizes or de-personifies the situation. Each life has been given to obtain so much more than a number can ever signify.

So many men and women have fought valiantly and exchanged their lives so that I can live in a country known as “the land of opportunity.” A place where I don’t have to be fearful of a dictator’s crazy whims, suicide bombers, or land mines. A country in which women have the opportunity to obtain an education, to vote, and to be anything they want to be. A nation in which I am free to worship as I choose.

And this nation is a nation under God. One who intimately knows the depths of sacrifice because He gave His only Son to remove my sins and yours. As a result, you and I are free from the destructive impact of sinful behavior and have the freedom to communicate openly with Him and to experience true freedom that can only come from God.

So on this Independence Day, I thank all those who have served and are currently serving in the military (especially Bryan and Matt who serve in the USAF and Daniel who serves in the US Navy) for your willingness to sacrifice your life for the freedom that we have. And to You, oh Lord, please help us not to take any of our freedom for granted. Continue to protect this great nation, and help us as a nation to remember Your sacrifice.

No comments: