Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Southbound 35

Tomorrow I get to do one of my favorite things: go on a road trip with my sister. She will fly in from California and then drive me and my dog down to our hometown. We’ll get to have four days together in the middle of year, which is a treat.

Our sister road trips started over ten years ago when we both attended the same university. We got that trip down to a science: we loaded up everything and hit the road by 7 a.m.; I drove and she slept until Llano, where we’d stop for a quick break; then we’d often exchange driving roles/riding roles until Sweetwater, where we’d grab lunch; and then we’d hit the Hub City by 2 p.m.

Those seven uninterrupted hours together through often uninhabited red dirt land were precious times. When we were both awake, we had great talks and even better sing-alongs, assuming we could pick up a radio station. And the drive wasn’t hectic, so we could enjoy the scenery.

Tomorrow’s drive has a bit of I-35 in it, which is my sister’s specialty. After having lived in Boston and now LA, she’s no stranger to intense interstate traffic. If I’m called upon to drive, I’ll take over on the country road route down Highway 77.

If you have a chance, please pray for traveling mercies and good health for all of us as we go celebrate a belated Mother’s Day over the holiday weekend.

7 comments:

michelle said...

hope you have a fabulous trip!

Momma Bean said...

I am so glad that you will have this time together. I will pray for safe travels and sweet sister time.

Renae said...

Praying you are safe! So glad you'll get to spend time with your sister.

--r

Anonymous said...

Y'all have fun at home.

It's great to get to go back from time to time. I don't get home nearly often enough.

Sorry about having to take out a second mortgage just to pay for the gas.....

Britta Coleman said...

Have a terrific trip, and be safe!

Krista Sanders said...

Hope there is a follow up post!

Alyssa said...

M, MB, R, A, BC, & K - Thank you for the well wishes and prayers for safe travel! I had a wonderful time at home and may try to post about it when I return this weekend.