Monday, September 2, 2013

August Recap

As I sit down to recap August, it's already Labor Day, and a full weekend of college football is already in the books.  My thoughts are still a bit confused about the first 28 minutes of the UT game during which I texted a friend, "I did not wait 8 mos for this!"  Thankfully, the ship righted itself, as did my attitude and priorities.

One of the highlights of this month was taking the train home for my mom's birthday last weekend.  It is always good to be home, and we had fun eating out (dinner in a refurbished dining car in one town and pie in another town) and becoming new converts to Duck Dynasty.

I regret that my summer reading plan stalled out, and so I have quite a few books still in my stack.  They will likely have to wait a while longer now that college football has kicked off. 

Last week, a friend and I just wrapped up Priscilla Shirer's study on Gideon, and the study could not have been timed more perfectly.  During each of the six weeks, it felt like she had written the lessons just for me.  One of the lessons from Gideon that has stuck with me is that I don't want to fail to give God the glory; I want that to be my default in every situation.

In the midst of dealing with the not-so-fun aspects of this summer--like a $3,500 broken pipe repair, headaches caused by the storms, and unexplained low-pulse issues--the Lord has blessed me with over 400 gifts that I've recorded and many more that I'm sure I failed to notice.  Looking back at His faithfulness daily has served as a wonderful reminder that even when things feel mundane and ordinary, He is a God who makes the ordinary extraordinary if I'll just take time to stop and notice.

What was your favorite thing about August?

1 comment:

Momma Bean said...

Ah, college football season. What's not to love :) So happy you were able to travel home for your Mom's birthday!