Saturday, March 8, 2008

Times Are A Changin'

This past week's to-do list was a little different than normal:

1. Deal with inclement weather . . . twice in the same week. {check}



2. Turn the clocks forward. {check}

3. Prepare for co-worker’s departure at the end of the month. {in progress}

The weather vacillates daily here in Texas, and the time springs forward and falls backward twice a year. So you’d think that those frequent changes would have prepared me to be more flexible when other changes come along. Like the unexpected resignation of a co-worker.

But this is more personal. She has occupied the office next to mine for over four years. We share similar backgrounds and morals. And we both love Michael Bublé.

She’s leaving us to be a full-time Mommy to her daughter, who will turn three in July. Leaving her daughter in daycare was the hardest thing she’s had to do, and soon she will no longer have to endure the kiss-and-cry area in the mornings. She’ll be at home making scented play dough, reading books, having tea parties, and being present to watch her daughter’s reactions.

On one hand, I’m so excited for her because I know that she is being obedient and following her calling. One that no one else can fulfill.

On the other hand, I am sad that I won’t be able to walk into her office and hear about her weekend (complete with fun stories about what her daughter did or said) or to blow off steam, knowing that she’ll see my point and empathize with me.

Needless to say, whoever gets hired to “replace” her has big shoes to fill. He or she will need to be intelligent, a grammar guru, a wonderful writer, a diligent worker who is not afraid to tackle the tough stuff, a team player, a good listener, and a great cook (yes, this is a prerequisite for the job because we exchange baked goods at Christmas).

I’m going to enjoy having her as my office neighbor for the rest of the month, and then I’m going to look forward to the picnic lunches in the park that she has already promised to bring for the gals from work to enjoy.

"Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel." (Proverbs 27:9)

6 comments:

Momma Bean said...

Changes like that are always the toughest ones. I know that you will miss her dearly.

Renae said...

I know you will miss her, but I am so happy she will get to stay home with her daughter! They grow up way too fast . . .

--r

Krista Sanders said...

I am so sad for you. What a sweet post for her to read when she is going crazy at home. Please tell her I give her a standing "O" for her choice. And I wish you, bits, many picnics with her.

TJ Wilson said...

sweet post, this would mean a ton to your friend. ditto what KDS said in regards to sharing picnics!

Lynda Meyers said...

What a bittersweet time. I understand the pain of losing a friend and releasing them into a better life at the same time.

Bless you.

Alyssa said...

MR - So glad you stopped by. You made my day!