Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Walking Worthy, Face to Face

I've been challenged by a couple of concepts this week. The first came from the sermon on Sunday, and I'm still wrestling with it. The message was on Paul's encouragement/instruction to the Ephesians "to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called." (Eph. 4:1) Whoa, that's big stuff, especially in light of the verses surrounding that verse. The other verses compare those who are immature--people who are prideful, coarse/rude, impatient, and divisive--with those who are mature--people who practice humility, gentleness, patience/forebearance, and unity. I want to be in the latter group, but I often don't act like it. Several times this week, I've caught myself saying things that will create division, rather than unity. That temptation to gossip that I give into. Or the desire to make MY name great. But thankfully, this verse nags at me. It convicts me to walk worthy.

The other concept that I've just begun to study with my small group is the idea of worshiping God face to face. I've heard songs about how we'll worship God face to face in Heaven. But Linda Dillow's new book Satisfy My Thirsty Soul urges readers to learn how to worship God in this way right now. Every day. I continue to try to wrap my mind around this concept. I want to figure out what this will look like in my life.

I think these two concepts can go hand in hand: walking worthy, face to face with God. And, I look forward to exploring them more.

What's challenging you right now?

2 comments:

Krista Sanders said...

Love to hear more on this as it comes to you. I am constantly challenged about "walking in the Spirit" manifesting the fruit of the Spirit every waking hour.

Alyssa said...

KDS - I foresee some other postings on this as I continue the study with my community group.