Friday, February 29, 2008

Stood Up

Sometimes the images that words create won't leave my mind. They nag at me, reminding me of where I want to be.

Such is the image of the Lord sitting in the drawing room waiting for me each morning, which Robert Boyd Munger described in his article "My Heart Christ's Home" and which Joanna Weaver included in her book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. I read that book several years ago, and think of the picture of Jesus showing up each day for me to meet with Him and waiting patiently, even when He knows that He will be stood up. This paragraph from p. 73 says it all:
[Jesus] said, "The trouble with you is this: You have been thinking of the quiet time, of the Bible study and prayer time, as a factor in your own spiritual progress, but you have forgotten that his hour means something to Me also."

During January, with its new beginnings, I found it easy to stay on track and make time each day for a quiet time. I even tried not to be legalistic about it. I found that I enjoyed it and desperately needed it. But this month, even with the Lenten season to help me focus, I have struggled.

But I'm grateful to know that I can't make Jesus stop showing up to meet with me. Even after He's been stood up.

Lord, thank You for desiring to spend quality time with me. Help me to see this time from Your perspective instead of what it can do for me.

No comments: